- The majority of the plotting issues we discussed have actually been addressed in the new IDL 8.0.
- AstroBetter, a site with the purpose of providing "tips and tricks for professional astronomers", has a good honest assessment of the pros and cons of IDL versus Python. (A list that is continuously updated.)
That said, I will point out a few things (being the biased person I am):
- There are real reasons why the Hubble, James Webb space telescope and ALMA teams as well as STScI are migrating a lot of their code base to Python .
- For that matter, this is why CERN is providing python wrappers for their major pieces of software like ROOT.
- I agree with these decisions. :)
Just some observations. That said, enjoy a beautiful picture of the sun taken by Alan Friedman: