Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Nick and His Microwaved Sponges

Nick tried to convince us to today to all go home and sterilize our kitchen sponges and rags using the microwave. Too bad for Nick he and his kind have been exposed!!!

A team at the University of Florida found that two minutes in the microwave at full power could kill a range of bacteria, viruses and parasites on kitchen sponges. Because of that people around the country have been trying it out. Unfortunately they didn't know the sponges and rags had to be wet first. These people ended up roasting their rags and microwaves.

Here is an article by CNN. It contains a couple testimonials you should read before you go off following Nick's advice:
Just wanted you to know that your article on microwaving sponges and scrubbers aroused my interest. However, when I put my sponge/scrubber into the microwave, it caught fire, smoked up the house, ruined my microwave.
First, the sponge is worthless afterwards so you have to throw it out instead of using it. And second your entire house stinks like a burning tire for several hours, even with windows/doors open.
Here is what the press officer for the University of Florida had to say:
We figured, 'Wow, we better let people know right away that the sponge should be wet'

1 comment:

  1. My roommate taught me that trick. I thought it was a given that the sponge had to be wet, then again I have known people that thought it was unsafe to eat an orange right off the tree, another who thought that I made (like in the lab) the geodes I have in my apartment, and another who had never heard of a sloth before (even though he knew the word slothful, also it was kind of ironic considering he can be characterized as a slothful person). It never ceases to amaze me what people don't know.


To add a link to text:
<a href="URL">Text</a>