Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

More Charts on Grade Inflation

I found this info-graphic on grade inflation that agrees with idea that students are better is just bogus.  More likely: professors want students to be happy because students ratings of professors hold a lot of weight and probably the best way to get great student reviews is to inflate the students grades.

I know this isn't popular, but I still think class placement in terms of standard deviations about the mean is significantly better statistic then grades.  And for those who argue an A should mean you mastered the material: you need to understand that in the real world an A has less to do with demonstrating mastery and has much more to do with the generosity/lack there of of the professor.

Real life example: the second semester of my quantum mechanics I had a professor give us all As.  Do you really think all ~40 of us had mastered quantum mechanics?

But standard deviations about the mean doesn't lie and cannot be skewed by a generous professor in order to manipulate the professor ratings given by the students to secure promotions and raises.
From C's to A's
Created by: Masters Degree

2 comments:

  1. One thing I found interesting is that private schools seem to grade inflate more than public schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And for those who argue an A should mean you mastered the material: you need to understand that in the real world an A has less to do with demonstrating mastery and has much more to do with the generosity/lack there of of the professor.

    Isn't this a bit of a false dichotomy Joseph?  I mean that's fine if you think there are too many A's but I think the idea often presented of grading on a curve is the false solution. I don't dispute that grading is one of many areas where professors fall down.  

    But it goes both ways. I remember my differentials class at BYU where the professor said we were the best class he'd ever had and was amazed at how well we'd did on the final. He was going to give half of us A's because as he put it any of them would have gotten an A in prior semesters.  The department had a fit and forced him to grade on a curve. Now my grade only went from an A to an A- but I knew several people who went from A's to B-'s.  And that seemed patently unfair given that (a) the final was dang hard and (b) there really were a lot of smart people in that class.

    I'm all about how sometimes classes get easier.  From what I've heard, for instance, 222 at BYU is ridiculously easy compared to when I was there (when I think 2/3rds of the class dropped out after mid-terms).  I had friends who in the 90's transferred from BYU to Yale or other programs and noted how much harder those other schools are.  So if the problem is "grade inflation" perhaps it's just masking a real problem of the class being too easy.

    ReplyDelete

To add a link to text:
<a href="URL">Text</a>