Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Science Only Adds To Beauty, Not Takes Away.



A recent comment on this blog inspired me to post this video. This is the famous physicist Richard Feynman who is spot on describing how a scientific understanding of nature enhances your ability to see the beauty in it.

The video is less than two minutes long and you really should watch Feynman say it as he does such a good job.  But for those who feel they have no time, here is the main point: (But again, watch how Feynman says it.)
I have a friend who's an artist, and he sometimes takes a view which I don't agree with. He'll hold up a flower and say, "Look how beautiful it is," and I'll agree. But then he'll say, "I, as an artist, can see how beautiful a flower is. But you, as a scientist, take it all apart and it becomes dull." I think he's kind of nutty... There are all kinds of interesting questions that come from a knowledge of science, which only adds to the excitement and mystery and awe of a flower. It only adds. I don't understand how it subtracts.

2 comments:

To add a link to text:
<a href="URL">Text</a>