Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Disneyland And Celebrating The Holidays.



I mentioned on a comment a couple days ago that I have season passes to Disneyland.

Today I went for the first time in a while to see what they set up for the holidays.  I was specifically interested in how they handled celebrating the holidays without offending people's religious views.

I have to say I was impressed.    Disneyland handled the situation the way I believe it should: they celebrated everyone's version of religious/non-religious holidays:

  1. They not only mention Christmas explicitly, they even go so far as to play songs, such as Silent Night, making references to Jesus Christ. (Though I saw no nativity scene.)
  2. They played songs from other religons too.  For example, they played Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel.
  3. They showed things like how the Chinese New Year is celebrated, showing how different cultures ring in the New Year. (I'm not sure if this has religious overtones, but it fit in nicely with everything.)
  4. They even showed popular traditions/festivals from cultures that are not religious.
Anyways, it was very professionally done.  I can tell Disneyland has a lot of money and talent.

But, I was really impressed how, like the world famous ride It's A Small World, Disneyland shows that all cultures and beliefs have value and can be enjoyed no matter who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To add a link to text:
<a href="URL">Text</a>