Pages

Monday, December 11, 2006

Suggested Christmas Reading

My philosophy professor suggested that we (meaning his class) should all read a good book over Christmas break. I would like to suggest a few good books to read over the break, if you're not to busy:

Have Spacesuit, Will Travel by Robert Heinlein: An excelent book with interening philisophical interpretations. It is also humerous.

The Illistrated Man by Ray Bradbury: Slightly disturbing (not disgusting, just well...you have to read it), but very good. It will make you think ("That's that last thing I need, is to think!").

The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis: You can real all seven in a week. I've done it (over Christmas break actually).

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad: The most frequently alluded to book after the Bible. Sort of depressing.

Man's Search for Meaning: an introduction to logotheraphy by Viktor E. Frankl: General Authorities commonly quote him (second only to C. S. Lewis).

Jonathan Livingston Seagull
by Richard Bach: Very good and very short.

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle: A true classic.

Frankenstein byMary Shelley: I have never seen a movie that did this book justice. I think the best rendition was actually a TV show about a dog that has adventures in books (Wishbone I think is the name, prety sad when a TV show like that gives the best rendition, but it was good). The book is even better.

If you want to read any of these books, I own them all and will lend them to you. I will NOT lend my copies of The Lord of the Rings because they are a first edition of the American publishing and are worth several thousand (probably the most expensive thing I own, even more than my car).

2 comments:

  1. Ryan, can I get a copy of your Lord of the Rings books if I *PROMISE* not to loose them? I just want to show them to a bunch of people I know and take them to Alabama to show my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good book to read is For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemmingway. Aside from the fact that Hemmingway was a bit of a chauvinist, the book is excellent.

    ReplyDelete

To add a link to text:
<a href="URL">Text</a>